BOULDER, Colo. (KDVR) – Any parent can imagine the horror of the moment their newborn baby stops breathing. A Boulder County couple called 911 for help and got it from dispatcher Rob Schimoler.
Schimoler received a Life Saving Award for his recent efforts, mentoring the couple to help keep their baby alive. According to the sheriff’s office, Schimoler recently got a 911 hangup and immediately called back. The baby’s father said there was an emergency and “My baby isn’t breathing.”
The baby was less than four weeks old, according to the sheriff’s office. The couple lived in a remote mountainous area of the county and the baby was not conscious or breathing.
Schimoler walked the couple through the steps of baby CPR, as the two put the phone on speakerphone. Schimoler acted as the couple’s “metronome” by counting out loud, creating a rhythm for the chest compressions, according to the sheriff’s office.
After several rounds, the baby started crying.
Schimoler was online with the family for 14 minutes, until the minute Coal Creek Canyon Fire arrived on the scene.
“I wanted to reach out to congratulate your dispatch team on this morning’s month-long patient,” Coal Creek Canyon Deputy Fire Chief Joe Ceurvost said in a statement to the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office. .
“I don’t know who was guiding the parents through infant CPR, but they sure deserve a shout out. The infant had just started breathing and crying when we arrived. We had a lot to do to stabilize this newborn, but it wouldn’t have been possible without good CPR before we arrived. Our jobs, both dispatch and firefighters, are tough and we often don’t get the patient outcomes we would have liked, but the success of today’s incident makes all of the training and the sacrifices we endure so meritorious. We were lucky that today was our day to be heroes. Serious work !”
This isn’t the first time Schimoler has been recognized for his calm and helpful demeanor on calls. The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office recognized his work in helping residents evacuate during the Marshall Fire earlier this year.
Suggest a fix