HENDERSON, Ky. (WFIE) – The dispatch confirms that teams were dispatched in response to a fire near a building along Highway 414 on Wednesday evening.
Dispatchers say the fire started in the 700 block of Highway 414 in Henderson.
They saw that a fire had been seen nearby, but no one was injured.
At around 7 p.m. Wednesday, officials said the Henderson Fire Department responded to a call after someone reported seeing smoke coming from the Henderson waste transfer station.
Since no one was in the building at the time, the risk of injury was relatively low, but there are complications when fighting fires around a lot of garbage. According to authorities, it was one of the semi-trucks loaded with garbage to be taken to Owensboro that caught fire.
HFD teams first pulled the truck out of the building before extinguishing the flames.
To prevent such incidents from happening, officials say to be careful not to throw anything hot.
“Most importantly, you don’t want to throw anything hot or throw hot items in your trash,” said HFD Fire Chief Scott Foreman. “Most of the time it happens when people are emptying their chimneys, burning barrels, stuff like that.”
As the fire department acted quickly and pulled the truck out of the building, the only item the fire destroyed was the truck’s trailer.
Copyright 2021 WFIE. All rights reserved.